Thursday, February 13, 2014

Headed to the pool with Special Olympics



Hi All,

It has been a mighty long time since I have stopped by! As some may know I have been away on vacation for some time and prior to that I was taking time to prep for vacation. Finally, we are all settled in again and jet lag is gone, so it's time for another post.
I wanted to share with everyone a little of what I do on the side along with training my clients. It has always been a great joy of mine to help individuals find their own success and partially why I am a trainer today! During my senior year of college I had the amazing opportunity to learn about the array of disabilities from intellectual to physical and it only inspired me to do more for those. Therefore, when asked to be Head Coach of the Omaha Special Olympics Swim Team I could not pass up the offer. 


Why does this matter to you? Well first and foremost I wanted to raise awareness of how important this organization is and what YOU may be able to do to assist. SONE (Special Olympics of Nebraska) is always looking for volunteers, coaches, and those to donate to contribute to the great cause. Let me know if you are interested! :)


What it has taught me already: Working with these individuals is simply a priceless experience. Each day we have practice I go into it not knowing what to expect. Therefore, with an open mind I come prepared each week and each week their ability blows me away! I continue to think to myself, this individual has overcome more obstacles in their short life than I have and I continue to make baby excuses for things. Time and time again I tell them to swim, swim, swim and regardless of how tired they are they give me their fullest effort. 



"Every person regardless of whatever different abilities they may have, can contribute, can be a source of joy, can beam with pride and love."
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder

*I challenge everyone to have this same perspective in life and to never give up even when times are tough or the workout seems too hard for your ability.*


Pool Workout-

Warm up:

(choice stroke, non-stop)
-swim 200 yards
-kick (no board) 100 yards
-swim 100 yards

Workout:
-Freestyle (easy) 100 yards
-Choice stroke (hard) 4x50
-Freestyle (easy) 100 yards
-Choice stroke (harder) 4x25

Cool down:

-Freestyle catch-up 100 yards



Your Motivator and Companion,

Gabby Skinner
FITness Into A LifestylePersonal Trainer & Owner
1735 Churchill Drive
Fremont, NE 68025
Phone: 402-459-1541
fitnessintoalifestyle@gmail.com

"Making FITness a way of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment